Inexpensive and easy to find. Chia seed is a dieters dream come true. The chia seed creates a gelatin-like mass which slows you digestion and suppresses hunger.
On top of helping you lose weight chia is also a great source of omega 1. You probably thought that linseed or flax seeds were the best source of omega 3 in the vegetable kingdom. With approximately 63% omega 3 fatty acid the tiny Mexican Chia seed is taking over the throne.
At first glance the Chia seed looks very much like a flax seed but if you look at the nutritive content the Chia seed stands out. Chia seeds typically contain 20% protein, 34% oil, 25% dietary fiber and they are gluten free.
Chia seed helps you lose weight since it:
- Curbs your cravings and keep you feeling satisfied longer as it slows the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar.
- Absorbs a lot of water and contain proteins and fibers all these properties give you a fuller feeling without adding calories.
- Gives you a lot of nutrition and very few calories.
- Increases your energy and makes it easier for you both to stick to your diet and to exercise.
Health benefits of Chia are:
- Chia contains five times the calcium of milk.
- Chia is a great source of trace minerals, for example boron that helps transfer calcium into your bones.
- Chia seeds contain antioxidants.
- Chia seeds are a good course of omeag3 fatty acid.
- Chia seeds help digestive problems.
- Chia controls your blood sugar and insulin levels.
- Chia keeps you hydrated.
- Chia seeds are known as energy and endurance enhancers.
Our Favourite Superfood: Chia!
Have you ever heard of Chia Seeds? More fatty acids that salmon? More anitioxidants than berries? More calcium than milk? There is more nutrition packed in these little guys than you could possibly imagine! What other superfoods could you add to your diet for a massive infusion of nutrition?
10 Uses for Chia Seeds
See Wellness Mama’s very creative list of ways to incorporate chia seeds into your diet and even substitute in recipes for healthier cooking such as a vegan or otherwise healthier alternative to egg whites!